In the Press
2021 Award Categories
Construction Business of the Year
- This award recognises those Cardiff-based companies that have made a real impact in the construction and building services sector.
- The judges are looking for construction businesses that have achieved growth and strong financial performance through innovation, exceptional customer experience and are focused on future business success.
Creative & Digital Business of the Year
- This award recognises those businesses in Cardiff that are operating in the highly important creative and digital sectors.
- The judges are looking for creative and digital companies that have achieved growth and strong financial performance through innovation, exceptional customer experience and are focused on future business success.
Employer of the Year
- This award will recognise those businesses in Cardiff that continuously invest in their employees for sustainable growth and development.
- The judges are looking for evidence of staff development, retention and recruitment; career development and training for employees; commitment to diversity; and the embedding of a learning culture.
Entrepreneur of the Year
- This award will recognise those individuals who have shown the desire to succeed with their own ideas and have had the ambition to turn those ideas into a successful business.
- The judges will be looking for an outstanding individual who can best demonstrate exceptional vision and leadership and personality in the development of their own business.
Family Business of the Year
- This award will recognise and celebrate the major role that family businesses have made to Cardiff over the years.
- The judges are looking for family businesses that can demonstrate sustainable growth, a clear vision for continuing long-term success and a contribution to the local economy.
Financial & Professional Service Business of the Year
- This award is open to any business operating in the financial and professional services sector.
- The judges are looking for companies that have achieved growth and strong financial performance through innovation, exceptional customer experience and are focused on future business success.
Green Business of the Year
- This award recognises those businesses for whom sustainability is at the core of their activities or whose products, processes or practices have resulted in significant environmental improvement.
- The judges are looking for businesses that have developed an environmental product, process or service or have built sustainability into the strategic operations of the business, either of which has resulted directly in increased profitability.
Innovation Business of the Year
- Recognising those businesses that have achieved growth through innovation driven entrepreneurship.
- For this category, innovation is broadly defined and could include technology, product or process innovation.
International Business of the Year
- This award is open to any Cardiff business that is trading overseas.
- The judges are looking for evidence of a detailed internationalisation strategy, growth in overseas markets and a commitment to improving export performance.
Leisure & Hospitality Business of the Year
- This award is open to any business based in the Leisure and hospitality sector in Cardiff.
- The judges will be looking for businesses that demonstrate exceptional commitment to provide an outstanding experience for visitors, tourists and business travellers.
Manufacturing Business of the Year
- This award is open to any Cardiff based company in the manufacturing and engineering sector.
- The judges are looking for businesses that are using cutting edge manufacturing techniques to create new high-quality products.
Retail Business of the Year
- The Retail business of the Year celebrates retailers and suppliers making a positive impact in the retail industry This category covers online, boutique and high-street retailers.
- The winner of this award will have achieved measurable results and continue to build upon their reputation for retail excellence.
SME of the Year
- This award is open to all businesses with less than 250 staff and with a turnover of £25 million or less in the 2020 financial year.
- The judges are looking for those SMEs demonstrating significant growth or expansion, innovation in products, services or processes, exceptional customer engagement, effective leadership and management and strong financial results.
Start Up Business of the Year
- The start-up award aims to celebrate and support Cardiff’s newest businesses. Entrants to this award must be independent and have been trading for up-to a maximum period of three years on 25 November 2021.
- The judges will be looking for real passion, a strong plan, an innovative product or service and exceptional forecasts for further growth.
Third Sector Business of the Year
- Calling all charities, not-for-profit organisations, campaigners and volunteer groups - here is your chance to showcase your work and achievements.
- The judges want to hear from large and small charities, hospices, third sector organisations and non-profits that are helping those in need, bringing about real social change or raising awareness and campaigning on key issues.
Technology Business of the Year
- The Technology award recognises the success of companies that have created and developed innovative products or processes that have improved the performance of the organisation or led to significant job creation.
- The judges will be looking for a technology-based firm with a clear commitment to research and development, innovation and future growth potential. Applicants need to describe the technology and how it has benefited the company and/or customers.
Young Business Person of the Year
- This award is made to individuals under the age of 30 on 19th June 2020 who are involved in business. These include young entrepreneurs that are building their own venture or those employees who have had an outstanding impact in contributing to the successes of a larger organisation.
- The judges are looking for individuals who demonstrate ambition, energy, skill and vision, as well as tangible business success. Applicants should have raised the profile of their organisation, developed and implemented plans that have achieved growth, and who have exceeded customer expectations.